McGraw-Hill Construction announces the winners of its second annual Best of the Best Awards, a national competition that recognizes design and construction excellence based on the winners of McGraw-Hill Construction’s 10 regional publications’ Best of 2009 Awards. Winners will be profiled in the January 4, 2010 issue of Engineering News-Record.
“Aesthetically pleasing and technically challenging, this year’s Best of the Best award winners illustrate the finest achievements of 2009 in design and construction,” says Janice L. Tuchman, editor-in-chief of Engineering News-Record. “We are very pleased to showcase these award winners for the second year.”
Out of 273 regional winners, an independent jury of construction professionals selected 76 national finalists and 24 national winners in 23 categories. Projects were judged on innovation, safety, contribution to the community, aesthetic quality, and craftsmanship.
McGraw-Hill Construction’s 2009 Best of the Best Award Winners:
• Architectural Design - Art Institute of Chicago, Modern Wing and Nichols Bridgeway, Chicago, IL; submitted to Midwest Construction by Turner Construction Co.
• Civil/Public Works - Brightwater Marine Outfall, Shoreline, WA; submitted to Northwest Construction by Vanir Construction Management, Inc.
• Cultural - Art Institute of Chicago, Modern Wing and Nichols Bridgeway, Chicago, IL; submitted to Midwest Construction by Turner Construction Co.
• Engineering Design - Col. H. Weir Cook Terminal Building at Indianapolis International Airport, Indianapolis, IN; submitted to Midwest Construction by Hunt Construction Group, Inc.
• Environmental - River Point at Sheridan, Sheridan, CO; submitted to Colorado Construction by Adolfson & Peterson Construction
• Government/Public - Historic DC Courthouse, Washington, DC; submitted to Mid-Atlantic Construction by Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners
• Green Building - Museum of Northern Arizona Easton Collection Center, Flagstaff, AZ; submitted to Southwest Contractor by Kinney Construction Services and Roberts|Jones Associates
• Healthcare - LAC+USC Medical Replacement Facility, Los Angeles, CA; submitted to California Construction by Clark Construction Group, LLC
• Higher Education/Research - Scripps Florida, Jupiter, FL; submitted to Southeast Construction by Weitz/DPR Joint Venture
• Industrial - MultiCare Central Utility Plant, Tacoma, WA; submitted to Northwest Construction by GBJ Architecture
• Interior Design/Tenant Improvement - U.S. Green Building Council Headquarters, Washington, DC; submitted to Mid-Atlantic Construction by James G. Davis Construction Corp.
• K-12 Education - Cherokee Central Schools Building Program, Cherokee, NC; submitted to Southeast Construction by BE&K Building Group, a KBR Co.
• Landscape/Urban Design - Civic Space, Phoenix, AZ; submitted to Southwest Contractor by ForeSite Design & Construction, Inc.
• Office - Sony Electronics North American Headquarters, San Diego, CA; submitted to California Construction by Sundt Construction, Inc.
• Renovation/Restoration - Milwaukee City Hall Historic Building Restoration, Milwaukee, WI; submitted to Midwest Construction by Engberg Anderson, Inc.
• Residential/Hospitality - 200 Carondelet, New Orleans, LA; submitted to South Central Construction by DonahueFavret Contractors, Inc.
• Retail - The Arches at Deer Park, Deer Park, NY; submitted to New York Construction by Aurora Contractors, Inc.
• Small Project (tie) - David Kreitzer Lake Hodges Bicycle Pedestrian Bridge, San Diego, CA; submitted to California Construction by T.Y. Lin International
• Small Project (tie) - Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, Washington, DC; submitted to Mid-Atlantic Construction by First Finish, Inc.
• Specialty Contracting - Phoenix Children’s Hospital Expansion, Phoenix, AZ; submitted to Southwest Contractor by Schuff Steel Co.
• Sports/Recreation - Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, North End Zone Expansion, Austin, TX; submitted to Texas Construction by Hensel Phelps Construction Co.
• Teamwork/Project Management - LAC+USC Medical Replacement Facility, Los Angeles, CA; submitted to California Construction by Clark Construction Group, LLC
• Transportation - Package 6, Main Terminal People Mover Station at Washington Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, VA; submitted to Mid-Atlantic Construction by Turner Construction Co.
• Worship - The Church of Saint Aloysius, Jackson, NJ; submitted to New York Construction by Erdy McHenry Architecture, LLC
Best of the Best Panel of Judges:
• William Browne, Jr., principal/president, RATIO Architects, Indianapolis, IN
• Larry Bruton, partner, ZGF, Portland, OR
• Patrick Burns, vice president, federal contracting group, Mortenson Construction, Alexandria, VA
• Tim Culvahouse, principal, Culvahouse Consulting, Berkeley, CA
• Don Gendall, vice president, The Weitz Co., Denver, CO
• Sam Gioldasis, senior vice president, Brandt Engineering, Dallas, TX
• Ed Hollander, principal, American Civil Construction, Frederick, MD
• Concettina Jancarik, architect, Chicago, IL
• Michael McClure, associate professor, SoAD, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
• Bryan McFarland, principal, development, Alberta Development Partners, Greenwood Village, CO
• Ken Petterson, manager, preconstruction services, Hensel Phelps Construction Co., Orlando, FL
• Alan Rindlisbacher, director of corporate marketing, The Layton Companies, Sandy, UT
• Wade Simpson, principal, Pugsley.Simpson.Coulter Architects, Las Vegas, NV
• Russell Snyder, executive director, California Asphalt Pavement Association, West Sacramento, CA
About McGraw-Hill Construction
McGraw-Hill Construction connects people, projects and products across the design and construction industry. For more than a century, the Company has remained one of North America’s leading provider of construction project information, plans and specifications, product information, industry news, and industry trends and forecasts. In print and online, the Company offers a variety of tools, applications, and resources that easily integrate with its customers’ workflows. Backed by the power of Dodge, Sweets, Architectural Record, Engineering News-Record, GreenSource, and 10 regional publications, McGraw-Hill Construction serves more than one million customers within the $5.6 trillion global construction community. To learn more, visit www.construction.com or follow @mhconstruction on Twitter.
About The McGraw-Hill Companies
Founded in 1888, The McGraw-Hill Companies (NYSE: MHP) is a leading global information services provider meeting worldwide needs in the financial services, education and business information markets through leading brands such as Standard & Poor’s, McGraw-Hill Education, Platts, Capital IQ, J.D. Power and Associates, McGraw-Hill Construction and Aviation Week. The Corporation has more than 280 offices in 40 countries. Sales in 2008 were $6.4 billion. Additional information is available at www.mcgraw-hill.com.